Apple engineer fired

Apple Engineer fired after daughter leaks video about iPhone X

Earlier last week, Apple engineer Ken Bauer was fired due to his daughter releasing a sneak peak video about the iPhone X prematurely.

Youtube vlogger Brooke Amelia Peterson said in a new video on her Youtube channel that her father was fired after she showcased the iPhone X in a past video on her channel. Bauer had brought Peterson to the Apple campus one day, which she recorded. Her video had gone viral as it included video footage of the iPhone X, which had still not been released to the public yet. Although the video was only around two minutes, it showed many features of the new phone including the home screen, lock screen, Notes app and the shortcuts order. 9to5Mac even called it “our best look yet at the device in action.”

Bauer had been an Apple engineer for four years previous to this incident. Due to Apple’s strict policies about confidentiality, Bauer had to be fired along with the video having to be removed from YouTube. Although Peterson removed the video from her channel, the video will still be out there to watch on other channels that reposted the video, until Apple finds and removes every copy of the original. Peterson continued to make a followup video telling the viewers how the video went viral and that she uploaded the video without permission, getting her father fired. She explained in the video that he was a “radio frequency engineer” and started crying while asking for the public to not aim hatred towards her father.

Bauer had been fired for multiple reasons all circling around his daughter. Bauer had let his daughter record on Apple campus, which is against company policy. As said by 9to5Mac, Apple employees are told when they first started their jobs that no photos are to be taken on the Apple campus no matter what.

“If it is against their rules then it cannot happen,” freshman Matthew Sherrill said.

Although this alone could get Bauer fired, his daughter included information about a device that had not been released yet, and she had published it on YouTube for the public to view and share.

Bauer has not been the first to be fired for a cause like this. Several years ago, a Microsoft employee was fired after his son posted a photo of the not yet released Xbox 360.

“Maybe a firing was a bit too harsh,” Sherrill said.