Are class recommendations really that helpful?

Why you should pick classes for yourself instead of letting other people tell you what to take

When the time comes every year, class recommendations have been a topic of intense discussion. A lot of it is what classes you should be taking to get all your credits. Then you go into the whole, “well if I take this class, then I could be with this friend” and what not.

The difference between what constitutes as a “good” or “bad” class is mostly in regard to furthering your schooling, getting something out of taking the class or simply needing to take the class. Then there is the consideration if the class will turn out to be the equivalent of a study hall.

As a senior, I want to give my honest opinion about class selection. Take classes as a senior that will both benefit you as well as be interesting. Going into college, it is a way better idea to stick with a “normal” type of workload, one you are used to from your other years of high school, instead of taking a class that the topic to you is completely dull.

Absolutely take a class that will require effort and stay away from any class that you can just slack off in. I myself have made the mistake of taking a class recommended to me. This recommendation came with the promises of a lot more work than what we actually ended up with, which has made me wish that I had made my own decisions instead of taking someone else’s.

Another thing to consider about taking classes that are recommended to you; if you are like me and your schedule makes it so that you have basically no time whatsoever outside of school to get things done, then definitely ask about a class that you can take that will not ask for as much work to be done, like a study hall or an off period. This will help you develop time management skills and keep you from falling behind in classes

For seniors in particular, the transition from high school to college is major. It’s a different life style, a different ball game, a different chapter to your life. If you take classes that require zero study time and zero outside of class time while you are finishing your senior year, then your freshman year of college will be brutal because you will not be used to having to do much work and therefore will not be able to get it all done.

Having class work allows you to figure out how to manage your time, whereas trying to juggle developing time management and college freshman classes will be a major set back. That freshman year is crucial to the rest of your college career, so why mess it up by trying to do so much at the same time? Make sure to pick classes that are good for you, not someone else, and help yourself by making things as easy as possible.