HPMS eSports league

High schools provide large platforms for students to compete on, such as sports, music, art, and academics. With new activities and programs being added to the school’s long list of electives and clubs, it’s easy to miss some of this year’s new choices. A new form of competition has arrived at our school.

High School eSports League rolled out in the fall of 2017 and has been growing rapidly ever since then.

“Our work with HSEL is an important part of building a path for high school gamers into collegiate esports,” said Executive Director of NACE (National Association of Collegiate eSports) Michael Brooks. According to the League website, some of the benefits of eSports are as followed:

The level of concentration and coordination that is required in eSports is enormous, creating deeper and more effective communication. This teaches players skills for the real world.

Scholarship prizes are awarded to students to help pay college tuitions. Colleges also provide scholarships to esteemed eSports players.

eSports is a growing industry, with many job opportunities being created that don’t involve playing. Some of these jobs include streaming, production, programming, and management.

Most of the students participating in eSports are interested in STEM fields because there is a large amount of technology involved in eSports.

Due to the growth of eSports in the past years, colleges have begun introducing eSports teams and programs.

Currently, the High School eSports League offers competitive gameplay in thirteen games. These games are well known among video game players, and as such won’t be surprising. The games are League of Legends (PC), Hearthstone (PC), Rocket League (PC/PS4), Counter-Strike Global Offensive (PC), Overwatch (PC), Smite (PC), Call of Duty WWII (PS4), Injustice 2 (PS4), Rainbow Six Siege (PC), Paladins (PC), Super Smash Bros (WiiU), Dota (PC) and Heroes of the Storm (PC).

The school’s eSports team is lead by Toby Whisenhunt, the school’s debate and speech teacher. Our high school students are competing on the following games: Rainbow Six Siege, Counter-Strike Global-Offensive, and Overwatch. Through the High School eSports League Website, students can sign up to represent their school on the eSports team.