The Road to State

The Highland Park tennis team played in the finals of UIL Area on Friday Oct. 20. The team played Frisco Reedy at Allen High School and won 10-0 after winning seven doubles matches and three singles matches.

“The team was pretty good, and I think we played a lot better than we expected,” sophomore Ashlee Newton said. “That’s kind of better for us because there were a lot of tight matches, but we pulled through.”

The team played in Bi-District against Mount Pleasant the previous Tuesday, and played in the regional quarterfinals on Oct. 23. If they win regional quarterfinals, they will advance to regional semifinals and finals on Oct. 27 and 28. Finally, if they win regional finals, they will advance to state on Nov. 1. The team hopes to win their 18 state championship this year. There have only been 29 UIL Team Tennis State Championships, so already winning 17 titles shows how strong the tennis program is.

The team has gone undefeated so far this season. They have defeated some tough teams, including last year’s 6A state champions, Plano West.

“[The season’s] been really good, we’ve gone undefeated,” sophomore Annika Juergens said. “I think everyone wants to play their best to help the team win.”

This year’s team is very different compared to last year’s. Last year there were more upperclassmen, but this year the team is much younger. The team members see that as a benefit, because the younger members can learn and grow together.

“This year’s team is much more cohesive,” sophomore Rhett Bailey said. “We’re a stronger team and everyone wants to play now… This year we have younger teammates but everyone cares.”

The tennis team is a very close-knit group, between the 8 hours a week they practice, tournaments and team bonding, they spend lots of time together. The captains‒ Madison McBride, Sophia Scaglioni, Phillip Quinn and Ryan Wojtaszek‒ help coordinate team dinners and take charge of the team when they need to.

“I enjoy the teammates a lot and winning’s pretty fun,” sophomore Ashlee Newton said. “I like the freshman this year a lot, and I feel like they’re really nice and sweet. I like being part of a group.”

As the tennis team continues on the road to state, they would appreciate support from the student body at their matches. They hope to be at state in College Station on Nov. 1 and 2. Take State tennis!