Study Habits

Study+Habits

With a wide range of students, there are many different methods of studying practiced at Highland Park. HPHS Media interviewed three students who gave their opinions and candid answers to the most basic high school question: how do you study?

Braden Munn is an above average student who works hard for his grades.

“I wanted to end up in the top 10% and, specifically, the top 7% so then I could get into UT,” Munn said. “So that was also probably a big factor for how much I study.”

Through this dedication, Munn has accomplished his goals, but what is even more interesting is the method in which he studies.

“Yeah I think color-coding is probably the best because everyone knows like taking notes and stuff like that, but if you color-code you’re more likely to visually separate everything into your mind, and then if you’re taking a quiz or a test or something you might be able to picture it better in your mind,” Munn said. “If you can think what color is associated with something.”

With color-coding, Munn can remember more easily and transfer his thoughts to paper much more simplistically than with the regular method of notetaking in black pen. The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) makes it clear that there are studies that back this up. The brain remembers colors with the notes, correlating them to the question asked on the assessment. All of this makes it easier to retain information.

“I’ll look at it like five minutes before the test and I’ll remember everything,” senior Becket Holmgren said.

However, there are different ways to work in school. Not everyone has to study to reach their academic potential. Holmgren is one such example. He relies on his photographic memory and his time in class to get results. It is not a one-way street to success.

“If you start slow freshman year, it’s not too late to get your grades up,” senior Alex Durham said. “You still have three more years.”

Some don’t learn the right habits beginning in high school. Freshmen generally aren’t taught the appropriate methods to study. It is generally recommended to spend at least one hour a night studying. Most people are more like Alex Durham and don’t have excellent memories like Becket Holmgren, so school requires more work.

“Spanish I had to study. But that’s because learning a new language you actually have to, like, pay attention to it. Like Vocab quizzes and stuff I’ve always had to study for,” Mr. Holmgren said.

Math and Foreign Languages require time out of class for most everyone. There is generally too much information to retain and too many places to commit a blunder. If in an advanced class, students will probably have to commit a lot of effort outside the classroom to be excellent. Furthermore, most students do have to study on a regular basis to be successful.

These are just a few students and their opinions of how to study. It is recommended to work hard and figure out what works best for you.