Semi Ojeleye

Coming into the season, no one thought that the SMU basketball team would rely on Semi Ojeleye as being one of their most important players. A transfer from Duke, Ojeleye has become one of Conference USA’s best player, and emerging as one of the most improved players in the nation. After being removed from college basketball for over a year and a half, it has surprised many on how well he has fit in into the SMU system. At 6’7 and 235 pounds, Ojeleye towers over players. He can power his way to a double-double every night, but he also has the ability to shoot the ball. He shoots 44 percent from the line, shooting the second most threes on the team. With SMU having their sights set on the NCAA tournament, Ojeleye will continue to be a key player.

Semi Ojeleye was born on December 5, 1994 in Overland Park Kansas. His parents, Ernest and Joy, both have jobs on the medical field. His father Ernest is originally from Nigeria, as he came to the US for a residency at University of Kansas medical center. Semi has two older siblings, his sister Tomi, and his older brother Victor, who played basketball for Kansas State. As a four-year starter at Ottawa high School, Ojeleye set Kansas high school career (2,763) and senior-year (952) scoring records. Throughout his high school career, he helped Ottawa to four state championship game appearances and a 94-10 record. He was named two-time first team all-state, three-time first team All-Frontier League, 2013 Parade Magazine National Player of the Year, and 2013 Gatorade Kansas Boys Basketball Player of the Year. Ojeleye was also ranked No. 26 prospect in 2013 class. Not only was he a stud on the court, he was a stud in the classroom aswell, boasting a 4.0 GPA throughout high school and was a member of the National Honor Society. After playing 17 games as a freshman at Duke in the 2013-2014 season, Ojeleye transferred to SMU. He sat out the for 2015 and 2016 due to NCAA rules, but know he is showing his true talent.

It has certainly been a dream start to Ojeleye’s SMU career. After a rocky 4-3 start, he and the team have hit their stride. The team is boasting a 18-4 record and a 8-1 record in conference play. Also, the team is a perfect 13-0 at home. SMU has certainly impressed many with their play in this season and if they want a good tournament run, it will be key for them to continue their form.