School Trips: Are they over the top?

School Trips: Are they over the top?

Band is going to New York, the Belles and Orchestra are going to Disney World. Are all these trips over the top? Some students think that the trips are over the top because kids miss school to travel around the country, and it costs a lot of money to make that trip.

“I think that the band trip might be a little bit over the top because of the expenses and the fact that we are playing in Carnegie Hall and most of us are only freshmen,” freshman Abby Law said.

Other students believe that these trips add value to their education because they get to have the added experience involved with traveling to new places and performing in competitive environments.

“I am going on the band trip to New York City. I do not think it is over the top because it is an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity to play onstage at Carnegie Hall,” freshman Emily Turfitt said.

“I am not going on the Belles’ trip to Disney World, but I do not think it’s over the top. They are going for a competition. I love competitions so I’m really excited to go next year and have a break from school and be able to dance,” freshman Alexandra Whitlock said.

To have the chance to perform in Carnegie Hall or compete in Disney World is unbelievable. Many people may think that school trips should stay close to home, but I would argue that it is an awesome experience and an honor. All of these are performance-based opportunities that students do not get to have on a daily basis in their hometown.

“When you compete nationally you get to hear and see things you are not usually exposed too, which can be very educational. Also, the level of talent is more selective,” Turfitt said.

At the end of the day, competition and performance is what these activities and sports are all about. If competing on a higher level helps them improve their talents, so be it…