Varsity Choir Hosts Virtual Fall Concert

HPHS Choir performed first-ever virtual concert for parents over Google Meet.
The+varsity+choir+pre-recorded+the+concert+on+the+football+stands+to+simulate+a+concert+experience.+The+video+was+sent+out+over+a+Google+Meet+to+parents+and+students.+
Photo taken from HPHS TV video
The varsity choir pre-recorded the concert on the football stands to simulate a concert experience. The video was sent out over a Google Meet to parents and students.

The choir department hosted their fall concert virtually on Wednesday, Nov. 11.

The singers and their families joined a Google Meet and listened to a few introductions from choir members, as well as from Natalie Walker, the Fine Arts Department Chair and the Director of Choral Music.

The concert was pre-recorded, instead of being live, and was about 30 minutes long.

Junior Juliet Allan is a member of the varsity choir, called Lads and Lassies, as well as the Pop Acapela Choir, Park Version.

“It was our first choir concert that was not in person in the auditorium,” Allan said

Each group was able to sing around two songs for the concert.

“We performed two of the songs that were used in our All-District audition for Texas Music Educators Association All-State Choir,” Allan said. “The songs were ‘Ride in the Chariot’ and ‘Sleep.’ However in Park Version, we sang ‘Build Me Up Buttercup’ and ‘Be True To Your School.’”

The decision to prerecord a virtual concert was made due to coronavirus safety concerns. While it was unusual for the choir students, Allan voiced her appreciation for still getting to perform.

“At least we got to perform together, we were just wearing masks and socially distanced outside,” Allan said.

The choir department is hosting a Christmas concert on Dec. 10. This time it will be live, in person, and it will be socially distanced in the indoor stadium.

Students and parents who missed the concert can still watch at the link below.

HPHS 2020 Fall Choir Concert

Elise Laharia
Elise Laharia, Editor-in-chief
What are you looking forward to on the staff this year? I’m looking forward to teaching the next generation of our program! Who are your favorite music artists? Stray Kids, the Rose, B.I., and Victor Ray What causes are you passionate about? Incarceration rates, LGBTQ+ rights, immigration and refugee displacement, and gun violence