ACT prep

ACT+prep

For most students in  high school, junior year is the most stressful and rigorous year of their school career. Junior year is packed with students worrying about their GPA, final exams, and also the SAT and ACT.

The ACT or American College Testing is a standardized test used for college admissions in the United States. It was first introduced in November 1959 by University of Iowa professor Everett Franklin Lindquist as a competitor to the SAT.  

The purpose of the ACT test is to measure a high school student’s readiness for college, and provide colleges with one common piece of data from a student’s high school career that can be used to compare all applicants. ACT scores go up to 35 but the average score is 21.

“The ACT is more of a time crunch in my opinion,” junior Noah Busbee said.  “However, the questions flow a lot easier, and your comprehension is tested on a more rigorous level.”

The ACT tests all four main courses: math, english, science, and reading. This is unlike the SAT which does not contain a science section. The ACT also includes an optional writing assessment. The test lasts for 2 hours and 55 minutes and 3 hours and 35 minutes with the essay.

The ACT is an easy way for colleges to track a students academic level, but for students the ACT is just another test to worry about through the entirety of the year.

Preparing for the ACT is a struggle for some students, while for others its a cake walk. Preparing for the ACT can be immensely hard if you do not have the correct materials to study. On the ACT non profit organizations website they sell a book called the ACT Prep Guide, which is focused on preparing a person for the standardized test. The website also has an online course on preparing for the test. Princeton’s website also has online courses and tutoring ranging from 200 dollars to 1500 dollars.

Another tool students use is called Khan Academy. Khan Academy offers practice exercises and instructional videos focused on helping with the ACT. Khan Academy has partnered with many different organizations like NASA, MIT, The Museum of Modern Art, and The California Academy of Sciences to offer more specialized content on their website. With all of these available to students, hopefully the ACT will get a little less stressful.