Tuberculosis in Texas

El Paso has been put under the medical spotlight as an estimated 150 high schools students are thought to have been exposed to the infectious disease Tuberculosis (TB). Director of El Paso’s Department of Public Health Robert Resendes is working with the school district to figure out who might have been exposed and needs testing.

Tuberculosis is a disease that primarily affects the lungs. TB does have the potential to be severe to whoever is diagnosed with it, however in some cases there is simply no effect. This form of TB is called Latent TB, and remains in the body in an inactive state, showing no symptoms. Latent TB is also not contagious. However it is strongly encouraged that you receive immediate treatment whenever it is identified, to prevent it from becoming Active TB.

Active TB is much more dangerous, especially in higher densities of people such as high schools, which is why the El Paso Department of Public Health is pulling all minds into the matter. Active TB does show symptoms such as high fevers, coughing up blood, loss of appetite and fatigue, just to name a few. It is also contagious, mainly spreading through the air. The sneezing, coughing or even talking of Active TB patients can spread the disease.  

To prevent any outbreak among students of the community, the Department of Public Health has sent out letters to the parents of any students they fear may have been exposed. Any testing given to the students will also be free.

While Tuberculosis is not incredibly common in Texas, with around 6 out of 100,000 people infected, it is still an international problem. An estimated third of the Earth’s population as been infected with TB. However Resendes is not intimidated by this.

“You have to spend time very closely with someone for hours each day and days on end,” Resendes said when asked about the likelihood of an outbreak occurring among students. It would be difficult to spread in classrooms with students that constantly switch out after 45 minute periods.

The person who exposed a student to TB has not yet been named, as it would violate the Department of Public Health’s policy.