HP Jazz Band Concert

Jazz Band Concert

On Tuesday, December 1st friends and family sat down in a dim setting, drinking some hot apple cider, listening to the Highland Park High School Jazz Band play mellow and thrilling pieces.

The Jazz Band has come together every week since August working on nine pieces to audiences this past Tuesday. The night kicked off  with Uptown Funk, continuing on with Sesame Street, ‘Round Might and Whirly Bird. After, performers got the chance to converse with viewers who had come to see their performance during intermission. An array of pastries, sweets and refreshments lined a long table where viewers could enjoy something to peck at while watching the show.

As the evening progressed, performers returned to the stage to play There’s the Rub, following this piece was Come Fly With Me, Fungi Mama and Any Way You Want It. Director Cory Parks called for students and viewers to come and dance in front of the stage while the band would play its final piece Soul Man. During the final performance, sophomore Jackson Smith played a trumpet solo, thrilling the audience with his skills. During the solo, two viewers danced near the stage as the audience clapped on.

Later this year, the Jazz Band will be performing their pieces for the elementary schools in the district, trying to give younger students a taste of what the band program has to offer. If you think you’ve missed out on an amazing performance,  the Jazz Band will have another concert later this Spring.