Powerlifting Team Creates Inclusive Community

Since the girls powerlifting team became official three years ago, members strive to take on regionals and state competitions.
Photo courtesy of Charlotte Addleman

On the lesser known powerlifting team, students are making gains, both physical and mental.

“[The team focuses on] changing HP and starting a new group where people can come feel included,” junior Brooklyn De La Torre said. “So just girls having a fun time is what it means to be in girls powerlifting.”

Captains Brooklyn De La Torre, Finlea Beitsch and KJ Boudry strive to build a team where all members feel welcome. They try to build confidence and faith in each other.

“I like how supportive everyone is of each other. You can just go up to one of the other girls and say, ‘can you spot me’ or ask if you can spot them,” junior Charlotte Addleman said. “Every time we meet a personal record, or break one, everyone cheers, even other teams.”

Three years ago, there wasn’t a girls powerlifting team at the school. Although girls had individual access to the weight room and training equipment, there wasn’t an established community.

De La Torre and students interested in powerlifting stepped up to take initiative, and began promoting the sport. Introducing others to powerlifting became a personal mission for De La Torre.

“My biggest accomplishment is honestly having so many girls show up and be a part of our team, wanting to lift every day.” De La Torre said. “It’s such an amazing team.”

The coaches Darren Eason, Grayson Wells and Max Hawsey encourage the team to strengthen and improve themselves. The coaches make sure to teach each member the correct form and skill set for each powerlifting event: the bench press, the deadlift and squats.
“We want to make sure to teach the correct technique, and make sure [the team members are] safe,” Hawsey said. “Once they get the technique down, then they can start working out and focus on strength gains.”

After the coaches lay down the basics of the sport, they then let the girls practice independently. Because the team’s schedule is so flexible with the option for morning practices and self practices, each girl is individually accountable for their personal goals.

“You can come in when you can, and if you can’t come in, we understand, because it’s really an individual thing,” De La Torre said. “It’s up to you as to where you’re gonna land.”

Although in competition, powerlifting is seen as an individual sport, the team members are more successful with the support of their peers. The coaches and lifters alike strive to send positive affirmations to each other to create a motivating and uplifting space.

“We always push each other to meet PRs or add about 5 pounds to the weight,” Addleman said. “There’s a difference between doing a rep without anybody cheering you on and doing a rep with tons of people saying ‘push it, you got this’.”

The girls powerlifting team has built a community from the ground up and encourages all girls to give powerlifting a chance. Powerlifting is a way to build discipline and strength.

“[Powerlifting] is an individual prize that’s like ‘I’m accomplishing something for myself, and I’m representing my school and I’m being competitive,'” Hawsey said. “In powerlifting, you cannot be afraid of failure.”

OS Keijsers Koning
OS Keijsers Koning, Reporter
What are you looking forward to on the staff this year? Expanding my writing skills and hanging out with the Newspaper staff. What are your favorite TV shows/movies? Knives Out and New Girl What are your hobbies? Running, archery, and my writing internship with DONE Magazine