Hi-Lites: The Controversy

Mackenzie Farr, Highlander Staff

After a week full of events such as the senior football game, the annual black light pep rally, and the Fright Night party for seniors, the fall Hi-Lites dance concluded the festivities. A total of 1109 students attended the dance which happened to fall on the night of Halloween.

There was a lot of controversy regarding a few things about this dance: the theme and the music that was played. Freshmen know nothing different because it was the first Hi-Lites dance they experienced.

“The theme was really easy to come up with a costume for, and I liked all of the music that was played,” freshman Abbie Meineke said.

The seniors had some different opinions to voice.

“Even though I raved pretty hard, the music they played was terrible,” senior Keaton Calhoun said. “I just couldn’t get into it. At past dances, they would play upbeat dance songs that made raving easy. At this dance, they played popular songs that we all like, but they weren’t very good dance songs. And as for the theme, I believe my cat could have picked a better one. There was no variety to the costumes, but my favorite was my friends who wore inflatable M&Ms.”

Even though some of the students didn’t attend the dance, they still felt the theme was not worth so much hate.

“I really just did not feel like going to the dance, but I loved the theme,” junior Jordan Westendorff said. “I wouldn’t have changed it. I thought it was so cute and you could find a costume so easily.”

Compared to many of the previous years themes, this one lacked a little pizzazz.

“I really like the Perfectly Paired theme because it allowed for you to come up with creative costumes that both you and your date could wear,” senior Bethanne Bradshaw said. “I feel like the theme could have been more creative because of the fact that it was on Halloween. This theme limited costume choices. Literally everyone wore jerseys.”

Even though the theme was Hall of Fame, it was Halloween, so some students wore their own costumes such as the inflatable M&M’s, Superman, and Olaf the Snowman. Let’s just hope the Angels step up their game for the spring Hilites.