Pulitzer Prize winner visits HP

During the pep rally last Friday, a group of students attended a question and answer session with Pulitzer Prize winning author and former New York Times journalist David Shipler. Shipler, who had spoken to the community at an event hosted by HP Kids Read the night prior, jumped at the opportunity to interact with students interested in journalism or who had previously read his book The Working Poor.

Shipler began his presentation by asking the attendees questions about major issues in the school and community, including the book banning controversy, sparking a discussion about these issues. Students argued over the effects that Highland Park’s homogeneity has on the community, exposing the audience to alternate perspectives. Because students were interested and opinionated, Shipler kept them engaged throughout the 45 minute presentation.

After the bell rang, many of the students stayed and asked Shipler further questions regarding his career. Students left the seminar feeling enthusiastic about writing and honored to have met a journalist of his caliber.

About the Contributors
Wyatt Hill
Wyatt Hill, Staffer, HPHSMedia
I've attended HPISD schools for my entire academic career and I'm currently a Junior. Outside of HPHS Media I'm the president of the Students for Individual Rights club and I participate Academic Decathlon. When I'm not in school I devote most of my time to running, reading, shooting, gun smithing, and binging on Netflix. My goals as an HPHS staff member is to provide the student body with interesting stories they will look forward to every week and to give hard working students, whether they be athletes, musicians, or outstanding in the classroom, the recognition they deserve.
Bradford Bonsack
Bradford Bonsack, Staffer, HPHSMedia
Hi I'm Bradford. Welcome to HPHSMedia! I I was born in Dallas and I have lived in Melbourne and Singapore. When I'm not at school or working on our site, I enjoy Taekwondo, in which I have a first degree black belt, playing tennis, and running my company, Gigavista. I like to think I am somewhat good at doing most things, regardless if I actually am; my expertise is strong especially in the field of News-writing, video-journalism, and web design/development, which is most of what I do at HPHSMedia.
Luke Parker
Luke Parker, Photography Editor, The Bagpipe
It was February third, 1998, Karla Faye Tucker has just been executed and the wonderful child that is Luke Parker was being brought into this world. I was born in Scottsdale, Arizona, where I lived till the ripe age of 15. From there I moved to Dallas Texas. Im an HP senior lacrosse player. I plan to go to college to major in Music Business, Music Production or Photography. My idea of a perfect date is say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket. Also I am part of an elite few who are able to complete Pokémon Emerald in one week.