Staying sane while sick

Stuffy noses, itchy eyes, fever, body aches and an over feeling of discomfort. These are some of the common symptoms that person might experience when they catch a cold, since school has a started a feverless cold has made its way around the student body infecting students without a second thought. The symptoms include: sinus congestion, an irritated throat and itchy watery eyes.  Now that summer is fully over and school is back into its normal rhythm. Students are getting sick with the new school year and this is how to stay healthy for the remaining of the school year.

“We are all coming into the building, we are all in class together and it’s just typical whenever you have bunch of people that are gathered [together] and we are all breathing on each other and in close quarters and close contact,” School nurse Angela Glass said.

One way to keep from getting sick is by using good handwashing techniques, however people can still get ill with good technique.This means washing your hands up to your wrists with soap and warm water for 60 seconds. Another symptom that has been associated with the cold is a headache, Nurse Glass recommends taking either advil or tylenol to handle the pain. The headache could also be attributed to the overcast weather that Dallas has been experiencing the past week. There has also been quite a bit of pollen in the air, meaning that allergies are running rampant. That alone make any person feel out of it, which could lead to a full blown sickness.

“I’ve felt sick to my stomach, I’ve been taking vitamin C pills and Emergen-C to help me feel better,” freshman Abigail Corcoran said.

Emergen-C and other immune system supporters are a great way to kick the cold and toughen up the immune system to prevent from getting sick. The Emergen-C packets contain ingredients such as dehydrated orange juice, zinc, magnesium and electrolytes. It’s important to have enough vitamins and minerals because without them a person’s second line of immune defense can’t operate at peak performance. The more often an immune system is working at a higher caliber the lower the chance of getting sick.

“It’s been pretty fast moving and the only reason I can say that is because its run through our family,” Glass said. “Also, it usually seems that it lasts five to six days, where as a typical cold lasts about a week and a half.”

Whether it be viral or bacterial some sort of illness will always been making its way around the student body of the high school. The best thing students and faculty alike can do is take care of themselves and prevent against illness. However, if they do get something they just need to wait for the illness to run its course.