Highland Park pride

You might not think one of the kids in your English class could be a movie star but it could in fact be the case. Several Highland Park graduates have entered to learn and gone forth to serve very successfully in scientific, artistic and athletic fields.

Mary Dorothy Maloney known by Hollywood as Dorothy Maloney, was an A-list actress whose career spanned across multiple decades. She won the 1956 Academy Award for best supporting actress for her portrayal of a self destructive alcoholic name Maylee in the film Written on the Wind. She is also widely known for her work as character Constance Mackenzie on Peyton Place that lasted for four seasons. Maloney attended the high school before attending college at Southern Methodist University.

In the era of Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield rose to fame becoming a well known actress, famous for several publicity stunts. Her acting career took a dive in the early 1960’s and her contract with Fox was used up on foreign films. She was killed in 1967 in an automobile accident at the age of 34.

Doug Wright is an American playwright known for writing Quills in 1994 and the stage adaptation of the Little Mermaid in 2007. He received the 2004 Pulitzer Prize in drama for the play I Am My Own Wife as well as a Tony award for Best Play in 2004.  He attended Highland Park High School and was president of the Thespian Club in 1981. After graduation he studied at Yale University as well as New York University.

Stark Sands is a film and theatre actor known for his work in Kinky Boots. He is a Two time Tony Nominee. He attended Highland Park High School in the nineties and further his studies with a BFA in acting from the University of Southern California. He was nominated for the revival of the play Journey’s end in 2007. He was also nominated for his portrayal of Charlie Price in the Tony award winning Musical Kinky boots.

Clayton Kershaw is a world series baseball player that currently plays for  the L.A. dodgers. He is one of the highest paid pitchers in baseball. He graduated Highland park high school in the early 2000’s. He rejected a full scholarship to Texas A&M in order to pursue baseball full time. He has led the Los Angeles Dodgers to success multiple times including the 2017 world series finals. He is always known and applauded for his humanitarian work in Zambia working with the Dallas based organization Arise Africa.