HPHS Media

Shot out in the shootout

Lady Scots lose a heartbreaker, ending their hopes of going back-to-back

Edward Bass, Staffer

It took two overtime periods and a penalty shootout to separate the women’s soccer team and Frisco Wakeland in their Regional Final match on Friday, April 13. After a long, hard-fought game by both teams, the game went into overtime with the score 2-2. After many chances in overtime, the game remained tied and a penalty shootout was destined to be the final decider. Unfortunately for the Scots, Frisco Wakeland won 4-2 on penalties, ending the Scots run at back-to-back State Championships and the team’s 53-game unbeaten streak.

The Scots took the lead in the 35th minute, as University of Texas signee Presley Echols took her chance, slotting in a pass from Vanderbilt commit Sarah O’Neal. Shortly after, Wakeland scored in the 40th minute off a header. The Scots commanded the first half, as the wind was in their favor. It showed, too, as the team had a 9-2 advantage in shots, but never extended their lead.

In the second half with the wind being the biggest factor, the game turned on the Scots. Wakeland proceeded to out-shoot the Scots 10-5, as it was their turn to dominate the game. However, the Scots stood tall, as Penn State commit Rachel Wasserman scored a penalty kick in the 23rd minute to give the team a 2-1 lead. Wakeland didn’t quite though, as a looping freekick, guiding by the soaring wind, deflected off the left post, tying the game at 2-2.

The remaining minutes of the game were filled with last chance attempts to ditch out a win for each team. The wind continued to be a huge factor in the game. In overtime, the Scots scratched together four good chances, with the best coming from freshman Maja Davison, but it was whiskers-wide of the post. Wakeland didn’t even attempt a shot in overtime, showing how it was a game of momentum.

Scots head coach Stewart Brown spoke to Sports Day High School.

“I felt like we played well,” Brown said. “We had our chances. In any other game those chances would have gone in.

Being the No. 3-ranked team in the nation, the Scots had every reason to be proud of themselves. With this loss, the team was denied their sixth state championship appearance in seven years, which is an impressive feat in itself. Not only that, this was the team’s first loss in two seasons, as their last loss came in the state championship in 2016. Today, the team sits at a record of 53-1. While the team will be losing a key core of seniors this year, there is no doubt that the Scots will be back to achieve another state championship.

About the Writer
Edward Bass, Staffer

Current Grade Level:
12

What is your position on the Bagpipe:
Staffer

What is your go-to snack:
Fruit Snacks

What is your favorite tv show to binge watch:
Supernatural

What are you most excited to get out of Bagpipe this year:
I am most excited about writing new topics for this year.

In what are you involved at HP:
HP Ambassadors

What is your dream job:
Sports Scientist

How would your friends describe you:
Cool and funny

What is your favorite song or style of music:
I listen to all kinds of music.

What is a fun fact about yourself that not everyone knows:
I once went to Tony Parker’s house (San Antonio Spur).

Where is the coolest place you have visited:
Paris, France

What is your ideal pet:
Golden Retriever

What is your favorite class this year:
AP European History

Where do you want to go to college:
Colgate University

What is your favorite news source:
Bleacher Report

What is the best piece of advice you have received so far:
Always turn the oven off before you leave the house.

If you could attend any major event, which would you choose:
The World Cup

Shot out in the shootout