Announcements: Feb. 21, 2017

This past Saturday, the Highland Belles competed at the Crowd Pleasers DFW Showcase held at Timber Creek High School.  Of the 35 talented teams in attendance, the Belles had the highest cumulative score and were named “Overall Grand Champions.” The All Americans won the large ensemble category and the Lieutenants placed 1st runner up in jazz.  In solo competition, both Catherine Magee and Landry Myers placed 2nd runner up in their respective grade levels.  Talle Olsen was named 1st runner up and Kaki Kennedy was 8th runner up in the freshman/sophomore solo category.  

In less than two weeks the Belles will travel to Orlando to compete once again, this time for national awards.  Way to Go Belles! 

This past weekend, the Highland Park Boys Varsity Swim Team competed and brought home the UIL 5A State Championship title from Austin!!! This is the first state championship title for the boy’s team in 17 years since the year 2000. The boys that competed included: Senior Robby King, Juniors Felix Van Cauwelaert and Omar Hmimy, and Sophomores Ethan Nguyen, Henry Wang, and Peter Paulus.  The 200 Medley Relay of Paulus, Wang, Nguyen, and Hmimy claimed a 7th place finish, the boys 200 Freestyle Relay of Nguyen, Hmimy, King, and Van Cauwelaert claimed a 4th place finish, and the 400 Freestyle relay team of King, Paulus, Hmimy, and Van Cauwelaert placed 6th in the state.  Felix Van Cauwelaert placed 2nd in the 200 Freestyle and won his own individual state title placing 1st in the 500 Freestyle event, Robby King placed 7th in the 200 Free and 8th in the 100 Fly, Ethan Nguyen placed 14th in the 50 Free and in the 100 Breaststroke Nguyen placed 6th, Peter Paulus placed 7th, and Henry Wang placed 10th.  Overall, out of the 54 teams that competed at the state championship meet, the boy’s team collected 175 points edging out the second place finisher Grapevine with 158 points. WAY TO GO SCOTS AND CONGRATULATIONS ON TAKING STATE!!

Attention Latin Club Students: There will be a meeting Wed. and Thursday after school in Ms. Caron’s room for those students who have questions regarding Saturday’s competition. Ms. Caron will review noun cases during the Wed. meeting and verb tenses and grammatical structure during Thursday’s meeting.  Please stop by if you have any questions about Area C. Gratias!

Attention all freshman and sophomore girls!
Roots invites you to a festive gathering of baking treats for both yourself and those in need! 
Tonight at 5pm at 3325 Beverly drive. Contact Josie for more information”

The Mens’ Varsity soccer team defeated Lovejoy last Friday night with a score of 2-1. 

• Duncan James and Nick Roostai scored the two goals with assists from Cole Stevens and Mason Porter. 

Come out tonight and cheer on the Scots as they take on North Forney in the stadium at 7:15. 

The JV Blue game begins at 5:30.

The Boys Basketball team has a playoff game tonight. The Basketball parents booster club has rented a bus for the game.  There are a few spots left on the bus. Contact one of the captains if you are interested in riding the bus. Free bus. Free tshirt for those riding. If you signed up for the student bus heading to Marshall it will leave promptly at 3:45 from Preston Road Church of Christ. Please leave your cars at the HS as well as backpacks. 

Go Scots! Beat Marshall.

Attention Writers: The 2017 HPLitFest writing contest is now accepting submissions. The categories this year are creative fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and scriptwriting. For more information, check out the LitFest MOODLE page. Cash prizes will be awarded for the top pieces. 

Do you play an instrument? Do you consider yourself a bit of a comedian? Perhaps you can throat sing or play the didgeridoo. Well, we have the contest for you. Sign ups start today for the 2017 HPLitFest Open Mic Night on Friday, Feb. 24. For more information or to sign up, go to hpbagpipe.com and click on the Open Mic Night link. Students that sign up to perform before 5 pm, Thursday will be entered into a drawing for prizes.

For any questions about LitFest, see Mr. Smith in EC212, the Bagpipe room.

Attentions all Rho Kappa members:

Please plan to attend our mandatory meeting on Wednesday Feb. 22.  You may attend the morning session OR afternoon session.

The morning session begins runs from 7:30-8:00 in WC 208

The afternoon session runs from 3:40-4:10 in WC 208

Congratulations to the Lady Scots Track/Field Teams as they competed well at the Newman Smith Trojan Relays on Saturday.  The Varsity Team placed 10th.  McKenna Michels placed 4th in the discus, Abbey Govett placed 4th in the long jump, Maddy Stephens placed 3rd in the 800 meter run and 6th in the 400 meter dash, and Grace Watts placed 4th in the 300 meter hurdles.

• The JV team placed 6th.  The top competitors were Georgia Holsomback, Abbie Meinecke, Olivia Conner, Taylor Clark, Christi Krikorian, Erin Harper, Emily Nelson, Olivia Briggs, Ashlyn Meuse, Allie Lavish, Ashley Booe, Grace O’Keefe, Brynn Weakley, and Kristin Cowie.
  •  The next meet for the Lady Scots will be the McKinney Boyd Relays on Saturday.

The Flying Scots Men’s Track Team had a great night of competing in the North Garland Raider Invitational on Friday with the Varsity finishing as Meet Runner-Up behind Sachse. The Junior Varsity finished 3rd overall amongst 16 schools.

• JV High Jump- 1st Carson Bryant
  • JV Pole Vault- 1st Cade Muese
  • Varsity Pole Vault- 1st JB Williams
  • Varsity Discus- 1st Turner Coxe 

Please visit hpscotsathletics.com for all results!!

The Film Club is meeting on Friday in Mr. Vasquez’s room, SC211, this Friday at 3:45pm. Hope to see you there!