Football from the Band Stand

Maxwell+watches+as+the+HP+football+team+fights+back+to+win+the+homecoming+game.+
Will Langford
Maxwell watches as the HP football team fights back to win the homecoming game.

At Highland Park High School, we all have various perspectives at football games, but not many seen from that of a Band member. I believe the football games are more complex to me and my fellow band members than they seem to the average spectator. For us, one game is month’s work of preparation and determination; hours and hours spent all leading up to one night.

Although I can’t say I’m a devout football fan, I can appreciate our football team’s relentless efforts to make Highland Park High School known and respected throughout the District. In a way, the Band itself tries to do the same, just as the Belles, the Guard and other extracurricular groups do in our high school.

Leading up to halftime, the Band prepares for their part on the field. Our halftime shows begins and the hours we have spent learning and practicing to achieve near excellence are about to pay off.

I sometimes don’t consider our chants as merely cheering for our football team; I think it more of a responsibility, even though it is not something forced upon us. I do realize that encouraging the players has become a positive, yet rarely acknowledge connection we feel with our football team. After all, our main job as a band at the football games is to support our football team. Even though we have different duties to fulfill, we’re all Scots, trying to support one another by building morale in order to insure success, and to keep high spirits even in our defeats.

Will Langford, Photographer
I am a new Junior to HP this year. I play 11 instruments, and I write my own music. I love photography, which I have pursued for the past few years. My favorite photographer is probably Paolo Roversi, and my favorite musician is probably Liz Harris.