The night before

Good habits and tips to keep in mind as testing season approaches

Testing is upon us, and it can be difficult figuring out when and how to start studying. Whether it’s AP tests, final exams or end of course assessments, everyone in school has studying to do. However, the important thing to keep in mind is that while exams can be extremely important, doing well on such exams is not more important than mental and physical health.

To avoid cramming at the last minute and pulling an all-nighter, make sure to start studying as far in advance as possible, preferably weeks before. Just a little time every day makes a difference. Spreading the studying out over weeks (if possible) or even just days allows for better long-term retention as well as reducing the amount of cramming the night before.

“Although we expected that cramming might not be as effective as students think, our results showed that extra time spent studying cut into sleep,” UCLA graduate student Cari Gillen-O’neel said in an article on UCLA Newsroom. “And it’s this reduced sleep that accounts for the increase in academic problems that occurs after days of increased studying.”

The night before the test, sacrifice those last-minute hours of studying for a good night’s sleep. Adequate sleep before a big test allows a student to feel refreshed and prepared to spend hours taking a test. Feeling sleepy and exhausted during a test causes students to reread information repeatedly and not think clearly, which can be especially detrimental on tests that are timed.

“But an adequate amount of sleep is also critical for academic success,” UCLA psychiatry professor Andrew J. Fuligni said in an article on UCLA Newsroom. “These results are consistent with emerging research suggesting that sleep deprivation impedes learning.”

Another good habit to get into the morning before an important exam is eating a healthy, filling breakfast. Exams can last for hours, and most proctors don’t allow snacks or water to be brought into an exam. Consuming a big, hearty breakfast the morning of an exam leaves students feeling full during an exam and prevents distracting stomach growls.

“Research shows that pupils and students who eat breakfast perform better in exams,” BBC reported.

While exams can be extremely stressful, preparing correctly and adequately can reduce the amount of nerves on the actual test date. The more time taken to prepare for the exam- not just information-wise, but physically as well- can make the situation feel a bit less stressful.