Are AP classes worth it?

AP classes are a great way to get college credit in high school and they can also lead to a GPA boost. However, many students ask the question: are AP classes worth taking?

To begin with, AP classes are a great way to get ahead in college. Some kids go into college with 30 hours under their belt due to the AP classes they took in high school. That’s equivalent to an entire year at college completed before they even start at their university. Even a more reasonable amount of hours helps with the workload of an incoming freshman who is getting used to the difference of college life. A normal freshman will have an average of 15 hours of classes their first semester. With the help from AP classes, a freshman could be able to have only 12 or even 9 hours if they wished to help with their adjustment period. AP classes are also a great way to get ahead. Students wishing to pursue a double major, multiple minors or just wanting to graduate early are helped by the hours earned through APs.

Another reason students take AP classes is for the GPA boost it can hypothetically give them. A 100 in an AP class is equivalent to a 5.0 out of 5.0 on the GPA scale. Even an 80 is equivalent to a 4.0 on the  scale. These classes can give a great GPA boost to students who wish to increase their GPAs for college applications. Pre-AP classes can also help with that since a 100 in a Pre-AP class is equal to a 4.5 out of 5. So, students who want to be more competitive in the college applications arena are often interested in AP classes.

Some students prefer taking advanced classes because they are more challenging or the coursework is more interesting. Many advanced classes offer opportunities not given in regular classes, like fun projects or even field trips. However they also have disadvantages that regular classes may not have.

Even though advanced classes have a multitude of advantages, many students chose not to take them. They are taught at a college level, and for some younger students that can be very intimidating. Others argue that getting an A in a regular class is better for their GPA than getting a C or failing an AP class. Others chose not to take AP classes because their college won’t take AP scores. Many colleges want students to take the required coursework on their campus and won’t take AP scores or transferable credits. Other colleges just require somewhat unattainable scores like a perfect 5 on the College Board exams.

At the end of the day, there are other reasons to take advanced classes besides college credit. However, many students won’t even consider taking the course if they think or know they won’t be able to receive college credit. The course work can be very grueling in advanced classes and can cause a lot of stress on top of the stress high school students already have with their regular classes and activities. Advanced classes are for some people, but definitely not for all.