Springing into the new season

Tennis members advance to regionals

Although the tennis team already won state in the fall, they’re not done playing matches for the school year. Many members are going to regional tournaments and are trying to make it to state individually.

While they compete as a team in the fall, each player competes individually during the spring season. This spring season is more relaxed and focused on developing and improving certain skills without the pressure of state. The underclassmen on the team really want to improve as much as possible in preparation for next year. They have a very young but talented group of players that are working to continue the tradition of winning state championships and being a family. With seven seniors graduating out of the team last year, this year’s tennis team is much younger.

“Being as young as we are, the team has been so much closer this year,” sophomore Rhett Bailey said. “We truly are a family, whether we win or lose.”

This spring season is already looking more impressive for the team than the 2017 spring season. More of the team made it to regionals this year, so the team support is stronger.

The team has practice four days a week during eighth period and after school, but it is optional for those who are not competing in regional tournaments. All of the team members also partake in  practices outside of school.

The team’s goals are to win spring tournaments to help with rankings and to keep improving individual skills. They hope to win at least one title at state, to match last year, or even earn more. Last year, Phillip Quinn and Madison McBride won the state title for mixed doubles. Both Quinn and McBride are captains now, along with Sophia Scaglioni and Ryan Wojtaszek.

On April 11, Quinn signed to play for the Citadel tennis team in college. Quinn has played line one, meaning he’s the best player and that he plays the other team’s best player every match. He has been doing this since his sophomore year. His teammates are proud of his accomplishments and are excited to see how he does at Citadel.

“Phil’s been a great captain and has been captain for both years that I’ve been on the team,” sophomore Annika Juergens said. “He’s a really hard worker and I’m super proud of him for making it to Citadel.”

The team has an extremely close bond this year because they all know each other really well and are very good friends. They support each other regardless of how they play and love doing what they’re passionate about with their closest friends.

“We know each other a lot better than we did last year and so the team spirit is really strong,” sophomore Jourdan Krueger said. “We all support each other and encourage each other to play our best.”