HPHS Media

Coach Allen Returns

Legendary Coach comes back early from Retirement

Avi Steinberg, Staffer

Three weeks was a quick retirement for legendary Scots Head Football Coach Randy Allen. After winning back-to-back state titles, the Scots looked primed for a three-peat before Allen announced a surprise retirement, leaving much of the football community and others in shock. However, the man is back and ready to improve off last year after realizing that he can’t stay away from the game he loves.

Allen started coaching at Highland Park in 1999. He is fourth among all Texas High School football coaches for wins and has compiled a record of 376-87-6 through his 43 years of coaching. Along the way he has mentored future first overall pick Matthew Stafford while picking up the first of his three state titles in 2005. Still, his greatest accomplishment yet may be the two state titles he achieved with Quarterback John Stephen Jones these previous couple years. According to 247 Sports, Jones threw for 4,911 yards, threw 61 touchdowns, ran for 10 touchdowns and only accounted for four interceptions. In their first championship together the duo beat Temple 16-7 (not to forget an all-time defensive performance by Nose Tackle Turner Coxe), and in the second they beat Manvel 53-49 in an unforgettable game. The game in fact made Sportscenter and “You Got Mossed” on Sunday NFL Countdown. Allen’s offensive system is obviously critical to this sustained success.  

Allen’s retirement caught most everyone off guard. The football team had no idea until their coach told them in a team meeting before an off-season workout. Allen also held an impromptu news conference which was attended by much of the DFW metroplexes’ media. Therefore, there was obviously a lot of concern about the upcoming football season. Who would coach the defending back-to-back champions? Athletic Director Johnny Ringo didn’t have to get through many interviews though before he found out who the coach would be. Allen had returned.

The next year’s Scots squad has many players returning, but many question marks as well. This isn’t helped by the fact that leading receiver Cade Saustad, Star Offensive Tackle Thomas Shelmire and John Stephen Jones are graduating along with much of the defense. The six new captains are ready to step though. They are Ryan Butz, Reagan Riddle, Finn Corwin, Hudson Clark, Ryan Khetan and James Lightbourn. The election took place during Allen’s absence while Coach Grayson Wells was residing as interim head coach. Additionally, the Scots are boosted by the strong interior presence of incoming Junior Defensive End Prince Dorbah. Dorbah has already been offered by Oklahoma State and SMU, while expecting to receive many more offers in the future. He was District 15-5A Defensive Newcomer of the Year among other honors too.

The Highland Park community is glad to have Coach Allen back, sporting the classic fedora on the sidelines. The only thing that can make it better is a third ring in three years to sweeten the return of a Texas legend.