The road to the Super Bowl

After maintaining a 13-3 record in the regular season and winning two playoff games, the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots will face each other in this year’s Super Bowl. On Sunday, the Eagles defeated the Minnesota Vikings and the Patriots defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars in the NFL conference championships.

In the National Football Conference (NFC) championship game the Eagles dominated their game against the Vikings, with a final score of 38-7. The Vikings scored on their first possession of the game, but failed to score any points for the remaining three quarters. The Vikings lost the chance to play the Super Bowl in their new stadium and be the first team to win at home. Many Dallas Cowboy’s fans were happy with the Eagles win.

“My favorite game was the Eagles winning 38-7,” sophomore Peyton Dooley said. “The Eagles are in the NFC East and that makes the Cowboys look a little better for not winning that division.”

On the other hand, the American Football Conference (AFC) championship was a close game between the Patriots and Jaguars. Jacksonville was leading for most of the game, but the Patriots scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter and beat the Jaguars by four points. Many HP students thought that the Jaguars would win until the end of the game.

“I expected the Patriots to win and then Jacksonville was really on top of them,” sophomore Krishan Patel said. “And then it was like, “oh shoot, what’s going to happen to the Patriots?” I mean they came back, but it was a good game.”

Both the Eagles and the Patriots earned a first round playoff bye by being in the top two teams of their respective conferences. Philadelphia had the number one seed in the NFC and the Patriots had the number one seed in the AFC. In the second round, the Patriots defeated the Tennessee Titans by 21 points and the Eagles defeated the Atlanta Falcons by five points in a close game. Many students have already started making their predictions.

“Philly’s going to win,” Dooley said. “The Eagles are looking really good.”

The Super Bowl will take place on February 4 in Minnesota and Justin Timberlake is headlining the halftime show. Female artist Pink, who is a Philadelphia fan, will be performing the national anthem before the game. Tune in to NBC next Sunday to see a good football game, funny commercials, and entertaining performances!