Highland Park High School enters its first novice debate tournament

Debate, a nationally recognized mental sport, forces students to utilize time management, quick thinking, and study skills to logically dismantle and prove points in order to defeat their opponent(s) in a game of reason. The whole idea seems incredibly complicated: that’s because it is.

Highland Park entered three teams for its first novice debate on at Newman Smith High School on Friday, Sept. 29. The teams left during sixth period to face off against schools from nearby districts. Among the attending schools were; Jesuit, Greenhill and Newman Smith. Teams arrived at 3:30 p.m. and began preparing for their first debates at 4:30. It’s common to see the elimination round consist of four debates. Friday’s rounds were proposed to start at 4:30, 6:15, and 8:15. However, it is also common to see the rounds delayed. One Highland Park team didn’t finish till 11:30 at night, with other teams still competing.

The next day, teams gathered themselves at Newman Smith High School. Teams arrived at 9:30 in the morning for the last elimination round. The elimination round is the first set of rounds that then enter into quarterfinals. The elimination match started at 10:30 a.m., giving the contestants an hour to collect themselves and their points. The two novice teams did not make it past the elimination round, but one intermediate team did move on to the quarterfinals before losing. Teams that didn’t surpass the elimination round left Newman Smith High School at around 12:30 p.m.

The novice teams consisted of mostly freshman and sophomores. Surprisingly, High School sophomores, juniors, seniors, college students and college graduates were among some of the diverse crowd of judges attending, though most of them had to go through a lengthy debate judging camp. One novice team consisting of Zachary and Gary Thomas were victorious during one of the elimination rounds.

“I thought that debate wasn’t too much fun at the start, but . . . once you win, you kind of feel different . . . it was a lot more fun than I expected,” Zachary said.

The HPHS debate team has the opportunity to debate 18 more times, with the novices having 16 more opportunities. Toby Whisenhunt is the debate teacher at HPHS and has led them for 13 years.  Students who debate have to attend the biweekly debate seminar sessions in SC107 after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The HPHS debate team will hopefully witness many victories in time to come.