Tennis Scots Start the Season Strong

The Highland Park High School Varsity Tennis Team has a reputation for being a formidable contender among Texas public high schools. It has frequently dominated the state championship for the past decade and a half.

The Highland Park High School Varsity Tennis Team has 24 spots on it, 12 for boys and 12 for girls. The Highland Park High School Junior Varsity Team operates the same way. Each summer, both the existing team members and those who want to join the teams undergo a grueling selection process over the course of a few days. Last summer, 23  students tried out for the Highland Park High School Varsity Tennis Team and 32 students tried out for the Junior Varsity Tennis Team.

The Highland Park High School Varsity Tennis Team practices in the early morning before the Junior Varsity Tennis Team, and then play in the afternoon. The practices involve conditioning, strategy, and drills. Such rigorous training can have both positive and negative effects on the life of the student-athletes Some suffer stress, poor grades and/or lack of sleep. “It’s hard to manage schoolwork and varsity tennis, but scouts always find a way,” said Mikhail Commer. However, the team’s players, freshman through seniors, work together after practice on homework and help each other throughout all subjects. Coaches also allow players to leave practice to attend tutorials. But for the most part, it is uplifting and strengthening the body and spirit of the players, ready them for victories on the tennis courts and beyond.

In the new season, the Highland Park High School Varsity Tennis Team has been undefeated so far. To name a few exciting decisive victories, the team has won against West Mesquite, 19-0, and Forney, 19-0. On occasion, the Junior Varsity Team members will join the Varsity Tennis Team in the home or away matches. Participating in one earns the Junior Varsity players a “letter”, or a commemorative jacket. Junior Varsity players hope to fight their way into varsity in the years to come. Heat, exhaustion, dehydration, and poor weather create difficulties in many sports, but in tennis, it can mean the difference between a close victory and an utter defeat.  

The season is far from over, and the school year still has playoff matches in store for the team. Based on what has gone before, however, the Highland Park High School Varsity Tennis Team spirit, teamwork, and skill ensure a fantastic season.