Double the Work, Double the Fun

Doing two sports within one school year can be hard, but an overall great experience.

I have honestly never been the sports type, and I am definitely not the athletic

type either. So how did I convince myself to run cross country and track my freshman

year? That is still something I question to myself to this day, but I know for sure it is

something I won’t regret. After that, one thing led to another and I found myself yet again

swimming this past fall, and currently running and throwing discus in track. Reminder, I

can hardly get out of bed each morning, let alone waste my time and energy

swimming/running every single day after eight hours of school. But what I have learned

after almost two years with four seasons of sports, is that it is truly more than the sport

itself and the athletic abilities it comes with, but really all about the experiences,

memories, and friendships made throughout.

“Participating in two sports my freshman year was such an entertaining

experience, with all of the workouts each day, and the people there to support one another

since we were all going through the same work outs. I ran cross country and track, and

the two were way different than you would expect. By the middle of cross country season

in the fall, I got used to having to work out each day, and it actually became something I

would look forward to. Meets in both sports were my favorite parts of the seasons, with

everyone bonding and supporting each other in whatever we were competing in that day.

It may have been a lot of work, but overall I don’t regret running because it was truly an

awesome experience,” sophomore Carolyn Saplicki said.

Competing in two sports is not only about improving in the actual sport, but

getting to know so many people who share the common bond with you. Some make think

going through all those workouts and pain to get to know others isn’t worth it, but from

experience it 100% is. Each year is more exciting the older you get, because one day you

will be the senior who leads stretches that you looked up to your freshman year. You also

see it from a different perspective, and the older you are the more you take advantage of

the time you have on the team. Not only do you create strong bonds with each other, it

honestly gives you something to do. Personally, I would so much rather be running

sprints in freezing weather and being active than sitting at home bored out of my mind.

Sounds crazy-but sitting around really isn’t as great as it sounds, and being on a team is

an awesome way to achieve so many great things.

“Playing and soccer and running track in the same year was a ton of work, but in

the end I really don’t regret it. I think it’s because I look back at all of the great times I

had with people I had met then, and even still talk to today. Practice really made me feel

like I was being active, and it felt so great after finishing a hard workout. The best part

was definitely bonding with all the other girls, especially at practice and after we would

go eat dinner and just have a blast. Double sports is something that anybody can do, you

just have to see past the work outs and remember the memories and gre at times you can’t

make anywhere else,” sophomore Avery Levoyer said.

Some may think sports are not their thing, and I know they aren’t mine. When I

gave it a shot last year, it was probably one of the best decisions I will make all of high

school. It is an escape from school work with a nice long work out after a long stressful

day at school. No matter who you are, even if you don’t like sports, there is always a

sport for everybody where they can have an amazing time. If you’re already deciding on

one sport, why not go ahead and do two?