The Tryouts Have Begun

Cheerleaders are a major example of true dedication and hard work.

Cheerleading takes a lot of time commitment, especially before tryouts. Just because someone makes it one year, doesn’t mean that they will make it the next year because there are no guaranteed spots, meaning that they have to constantly work on new skills. People who are thinking of trying out begin intense preparation in January through tryouts. Anyone can tryout for cheerleader as long as they attend the mandatory meeting and have a 3.0 GPA, but most of them have done tumbling, gymnastics or competitive cheer for many years.

“I’ve been cheering on and off since I was five years old. By starting so early in my childhood, it has created a great base for high school cheer tryouts. Before tryouts, I prepare by doing extra tumbling classes and constantly working on my jumps,” sophomore Mary Kumpf (JV cheerleader) said.

People prepare for tryouts with extra tumbling classes, jump classes and many trips to open gyms. Two weeks before the tryouts, potential cheerleaders start to learn the material for the dance and cheer. Mock tryouts, which is a fake tryout in front of all their peers who are trying out and a select few senior varsity cheerleaders give you comments on your routine, soon follow the choreography camp. To prepare for the mock tryouts, everyone must create a tumbling pass that incorporates the hardest skills that they can throw without falling, a standing tumbling pass, a jump sequence with at least three jumps, and the cheer which everyone learns from the choreographer.

“I take a CATS (Cheerleading and Tumbling) class at a cheer gym named United, which makes the tryout process a bit easier because you feel more prepared for mock tryouts and tryouts. Mock tryouts is really nerve racking because you have to perform in front of your friends who are trying out,” freshman Sarah Klein (freshman cheerleader) said.

The Wednesday before spring break is the student body tryouts in front of the whole school as well as parents of candidates. The next day is the judges’ tryouts in the mezzanine. There are four judges who critique the potential cheerleaders on their technique and skills as well as spirit. Cheerleading takes a lot of late nights and sore muscles, but in the end, hard work demanded by tryouts leads to new bonds formed with new friends.