‘Guarding’ the fortress

Highland Park’s Winterguard returns for their new winter season.

One might argue that the years of high school are the most important years of life. Which, to some, could also translate to that the time spent in high school is what makes someone who they are to become. All the events leading up to that moment are important, which includes the time put into extracurricular activities, no matter how big or small the commitment is.

Not everyone may know what it is, but to many, Colorguard is a yearly ordeal that gives is a must see event as well as an enjoyable activity to participate in.

“I joined guard because the guard kids all seem really cool and nice, and it seemed like a good way to do an extra athletic,” freshman Paloma George said.

The sport was traditionally performed at military and veteran ceremonies, it has evolved into so much more, coming so far as to our very own backyard: Highland Park. Colorguard is a fun activity that gives kids the ability to take part in a fun and enjoyable activity that they can proudly show off their school.

Nowadays, the “sport of the arts” has a more modern take with a mix of theatrical arts, music, and dancing, including both modern and classic types. Along with this, they must be willing to execute incredible coordination with all the spinning of flags, rifles and sabres, which are also know as swords.

And with events such as these, there are going to be competitions. This season, or rather this month, is special due to the beginning of Winterguard. This event happens every year in December and is something that anyone who wants to get a feel for what the sport is like can participate in. In other words, if someone had any questions or are wondering if they have what it takes to be on
Guard, then, and excuse my use of a cliche, this is your time to shine.

Another thing to consider is that while Colorguard is performed outside, Winterguard occurs inside, taking residence in the gym or any space practice can be held. Last year’s season alone, the Guard came first with the highest scores of the 54 there, all from North Texas.

Winterguard practices, according to both new and returning students involved, are a place where you can feel comfortable in your own skin all while being able to put yourself out there for new experiences.

“The Guard practices are cool. I’m just now learning to do everything b
ut the coaches and other students are all really nice and make learning it fun.” George said. “I would totally recommend it to other students!”

To sum it all up for those reading that might still be having second thoughts, Winterguard, or for those who want the complete experience, Colorguard, is a wonderful opportunity for anyone that wants to participate in a fun, high-energy activity.

“I love performing the most,” sophomore Hannah Luk said. “When you perform and it goes well you know that all the hard work you put in is worth it.