Time crunch

Time+crunch

Have you ever heard of a high school student with two jobs? It’s called a student athlete.

As a freshman, I have had to change some of my ways in order to keep my school, athletic, and social life in check. Through my school career I have always had A’s and never had to work for those grades. I hung out with friends all the time, watched TV and chilled all day everyday. Towards the end of eight grade, I remember how teachers and even freshmen came to the middle school to tell all of my peers and I how all of that would change super quickly. It did.

I am an athlete as well as a student. In my opinion going to school is one job, and doing a sport that is extremely competitive like volleyball is another. So, because student athletes have these two responsibilities we have to figure out what systems and processes  work best to get everything organized, turned in, and to preform well.

The high school volleyball coaches accept nothing but the best from every player on and off the court. It’s a wonderful thing for a lot of us to have that extra push to be better students, players, and even people. Living up to their expectations is going to be really hard, but it will pay off majorly in the long run. In order to be successful in volleyball and in school, I have had to learn how to manage my time.

I asked many of my upper-class men friends what helped and still helps them balance everything. A lot of them said to do homework whenever you get the chance, try to knock out the little things, and then start getting at the bigger things.

“I do my homework on the buses to the games and when I get home, and do things ahead of time,” freshman Abigail Brannon said. She learned this from her older brother.

Lots of people also said that the minute you’re given an assignment that may not  be due getting it done as soon as possible is really helpful. Otherwise, you’re more likely to forget about it.

The transition has been very hard for some people, but for freshman Britton Daugbjerg it seems she’s gotten it figured out for herself. “As soon as I get home I sit at my desk, and get as much homework done as I can before dinner. If I have to drive anywhere far, like to club volleyball, I bring things that I can study in the car. After dinner I continue my homework then shower then get to bed around 9:45-10. If I have a major test or if I’m lazy I won’t get to bed till around 11,” she said.

I have asked many of my peers what has helped them and tried many strategies myself. For me, so far I have had to be efficient with my time, focus on finishing what I start, and start things I am willing to finish.