Just Dig It

Just Dig It

The volleyball teams are off to a great start this season. The varsity team’s current record is 24 – 6 and 2 – 0 in district; these girls obviously know what they’re doing.

“This season so far has been awesome! The teams are incredible and there is so much talent. So far my favorite game was when we played Allen. They had already beaten us before. We wanted to win so badly, and we did! It was crazy! I lost my voice from screaming so much. We weren’t expected to win that game and Allen is one of the best teams in the state so beating them showed our whole team that we are one of the top teams in the state,” Mackenzie Farr, statistician, said. “Being ranked 3rd in the nation is honestly kind of terrifying. Although it’s amazing that we are, it’s so much pressure to keep it.   I think our team has dealt with it well. I’m looking forward to both our home and our away Pearce game.”

In the district game on September 11th at Berkner, varsity girls won all three of their games with scores of 15 -7, 25 – 13 and 25 – 9. Freshman A, freshman B and JV teams all won the first two out of three of their games as well.

Some of the season totals currently include Elizabeth Gilley #14 with 228 kills, 3 blocks and 174 digs as an outsider. Jordan Westendorff #10, playing outsider, has 213 kills, 11 blocks and 70 digs. Falyn Reaugh #9, on the right side, has had 282 kills, 12 blocks and 22 digs. Madeline Bonnet #5 has 302 digs playing libero.

“We are doing great! I’m very proud to be a part of this wonderful program. We work our hardest every day, and it really pays off at all of our games. With our varsity team being ranked 3rd in the nation, we have high expectations that we hold ourselves in order to hopefully follow in their footsteps someday. They are great role models to me, my teammates on the freshman teams, and also the JV teams,” freshman Claire Kozmetsky, #27 said.

Sarah Reedy, #7, plays right side hitter on the JV team. “We’re undefeated in district and have done well in our tournaments. Our game against Lake Highlands was really exciting because it was so intense and the score was close. It was also great having so many people to cheer us on,” Reedy said.

The varsity team went up against Lake Highlands on September 22nd.   E.C. Stanzel, #12, is on varsity as a sophomore. “The game against Lake Highlands was really exciting. A pretty good amount of people showed up, and everyone was cheering. The game was very close,” Stanzel said. “The last set was only to 15 points because it served as a tiebreaker between the two teams. We ended up winning by just two points. I really enjoyed the game because it was so fast paced! Also, it was a great win for us in district! As of now we are still undefeated.”

Be sure to be on the lookout for the fiercely competitive teams that are sure to tear up the court in their next matches and keep the name of 3rd in the nation.