Pulling Through

Pulling Through

The end of the first six weeks is one of the more stressful ones for most of the student body. Freshmen and sophomores are still getting the hang of things and adjusting to classes. Most juniors and seniors are taking multiple AP classes, searching for colleges, and trying to raise their GPA before applying to these colleges.

During the last week, the teachers are cramming quizzes and tests in to meet their assignment quota, and the students are losing sleep in order to maintain their grades in the class.

“This week I have three tests, two quizzes and a Spanish oral. I have tutors every day after school, and afterwards I still have to finish the remaining homework I don’t do with my tutors. I end up going to sleep late and wake up early for tutorials. This is a recurring cycle I’ve seen at the end of every six week,” sophomore Emily Oden said.

The end of a six weeks grading period is crucial because it is the last opportunity students have to raise their grades, and it’s ¼ of their semester average. The unfortunate part about this time is that if they don’t raise their grades with the last couple of quizzes and tests, there’s usually no other way to raise it.

“The whole week isn’t always too bad because the quizzes and tests are all over the information that we have been going over throughout the six weeks, but teachers don’t give enough chances for us to raise our grade. Freshman year there was always a bunch of extra credit, but now there’s barely any at all,” junior Annie Flaten said.

At the beginning of a new 6 weeks grading period, classes all seem fresh, and everyone has a clean slate for grades. The struggle of pulling through the last week gives students the drive to try harder for the upcoming six weeks.

“It’s challenging adapting to the new amount of work for junior year. Although I assume it won’t, I hope it gets better,” junior Kate Dabney said.